Features & Benefits
Trimble MS972 GNSS Smart Antenna
The Trimble® MS972 GNSS Smart Antenna is a fully integrated GNSS receiver plus antenna intended for use on dozers, excavators, soil and asphalt compactors.
Mounted on the machine cab, the MS972 is well suited for bulk earthworks on a dozer, and pass count mapping on soil and asphalt compaction applications. It is also available in single or dual configuration for excavators.
The MS972 is a smaller and easier-to-deploy solution based on the industry-leading Trimble MS992 GNSS Smart Antenna power supply and Trimble Maxwell™ 6 GPS Chip. It offers the performance enhancements of a new Trimble RTK engine and supports the newest GNSS signals. That means increased machine productivity and utilization in areas that were previously difficult to use GPS machine control - including under tree canopy and in urban canyons.
Depending on your budget and accuracy requirements, the Trimble MS972 GNSS Smart Antenna can be configured for Location RTK or Precision RTK accuracy. Optional GLONASS upgrade is also available.
Once configured, the new MS972 offers the following benefits:
- The receiver includes the new Trimble Maxwell™ 6 GPS Chip, which can track more satellite signals
- Advanced Trimble R-Track technology supports a wide range of satellite signals, including GPS L2C and L5 and GLONASS L1/L2 signals (when configured with the GLONASS option)
- A modernized RTK engine providing faster initialization times when satellite lock is lost and better receiver performance when working near tree canopy or where obstructions exist
- Standard tracking of GPS modernized L2C and the planned L5 signals to increase the performance of the system at longer baselines
- WAAS / EGNOS / MSAS Satellite-Based Augmentation System (SBAS) for higher machine utilization during initial site clearing or for bulk earthworks where machines are working in areas with large cuts or fills, and differential positioning accuracy to a few meters is required
These advances improve the contractor's ability to work in tougher environments, at longer ranges, and with faster initialization times. This results in increased productivity and reduced downtime on the construction job site.
The MS972 GNSS Smart Antenna is the key positioning component of the Trimble CCS900 Compaction Control System.
The Trimble MS972 GNSS Smart Antenna can be configured for use in Location RTK mode with 1cm (0.03ft) horizontal and 10 (0.33ft) vertical accuracy. This option is well suited for compaction operations and carries a lower price point, while maintaining the precision horizontal accuracy on the jobsite.
How does GNSS work for construction?
Each on-machine GNSS receiver computes its exact position many times per second based on information it receives from GNSS satellites and a correction source. Simultaneously, an on-board computer or control box determines the exact position of the blade, bucket, or drum. It compares these positions to the design elevation and computes the amount of material to cut or fill to reach grade.
Cut/fill data is passed to the in-cab control box and lightbars that guide the operator to move the cutting edge up or down for grade and right or left of a defined alignment. The same data is also used to drive the valves for automatic blade control.